31 January 2009

Difficult day in the Alpes

So today we rode up to the Haleakala crater. This is an incredible 39mile (62.4km) climb going from an altitude of 0 ft to 10,023 ft (3.055 kilometers). I didn't feel too super to start with and starting climb a bit excited, I soon paid for the last 3 weeks training and early efforts on the climb. So it became a bit of a lonely climb. Me and the Mountain. What a Grind. The last 18miles was a struggle to get the pedal over the crank and all I could do was talk myself through it and listen to the whistling wind. I could have easily turned around and coasted all the way home but I knew I would regret it if I did not reach the top. After 3 hours and 20 odd minutes I was there. What a fantastic view. It felt like a nice little dive off the edge and you could land in the nice clear water as the climb was quite steep. In the other direction was the crater. Absolutely barren except for mounds of rocks where it must have erupted. You could see the big Island in another direction. And I made sure to wave North East as I promised to a friend in Victoria. All in all, I am happy I didn't give up, too bad the legs weren't there but I did it. Everyone was shaking everyone's hand at the top cause it was such an accomplishment.

Here are some photographs from the climb.


Ciao for now,
Andrew

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

How was the descent? I bet you guys were flying. Must have been fun.

Andrew McCartney said...

Well with about 10miles to go I made an agreement with myself to finish the climb but ask for a drive down. So that is what I did.

I just felt that I was so dehydrated and kind of delirious that I was not in the right mindset to descend this difficult mountain.

But I heard it was a blast.

Anonymous said...

Dude, your training looks wicked. I competed a couple of times against you last season on the road bike. All i can say is for you to continue, since it would be a shame not to. And again, your training looks wicked.
Hope to see you on the roads