18 August 2007

2007 Kelowna ITU Triathlon Pan American Cup

So it has been a pretty relaxed week setting up for Kelowna. I have been feeling especially strong in the pool. With a solid set yesterday consisting of 12x100m Descending from 1.07's to 1.01's. Probably not the perfect idea for a taper but I just felt the mental boost was worth the extra energy.


So I picked up my front wheel from Gabor Herner at Fort Street Cycle with a new front tire. A Continental Gatorskin, interesting tread great for this weekends race. Fort Street has been so good to me, setting me up with my ride this year with Cervelo and with a mechanic like Gabor I feel so confident that mechanically I am ready for anything. Came home got the bike ready and looking fast and started packing. Now I am ready to go, we leave nice and early for the long trek over to Kelowna but I look forward to the ferrie trip over, I think I will sit on the deck and soak up the wind before the 3 hour drive.





But as for the race itself, I have always loved the swim course. It will basically be a two lap version of last year’s course. As for the bike course, wow what a course. Should be a blast! The course takes us along Ellis Dr. up an amazing climb as you look over the City of Kelowna. We do this course and this hill 4 times. The run is along the shore and should be hot. Hydration will be very important. I am afraid I don't have a Map of the run course but you will just have to trust me in that it is a beautiful 4 lap course.



I have been inspired by not just a Junior sweep from victoria on the mens side but also Brittany Imlach. Brittany blew a tire in the junior race on a corner, road rash all along her side, but did she give up? No, she pulled herself off the ground and got herself a second wheel and continued to race. Although she got DQed for outside assistance(The wheel) she is one tough cookie. Well done Brittany. She's the one on the cover of Vogue above. He he. /\



I have just finished watching Empire of the Sun, a very sad movie made in 1987 the year I was born by Steven Spielberg staring the very young Christian Bale as Jim 'Jamie' Graham who is captured in 1941, and taken to Soo Chow confinement camp, next to a captured Chinese airfield. Amidst the sickness and food shortages in the camp, Jim attempts to reconstruct his former life, all the while bringing spirit and dignity to those around him. It is a movie that really hits you deep. Very Sad. I chose the clip below due to the song the boy sings...'The Ambrosian Junior Choir - Suo Gan'









But I should be getting off shaving and I’m not talking about my face. Hehe.
Ciao for now,
Andrew McCartney

No comments: