25 August 2010

Stage 20 - Champs-Élysées -"Team Triathlon World Championships"

Stage 20 - Champs-Élysées (Sunday)

Team Triathlon World Championships

Well we may not have gotten the results we were hoping for but the efforts by team Canada were noble. We all put everything we could into it in spite of being at the end of 4 races in 3 weeks. A little beaten up but we hunkered down and gave-er. As for myself, I was anchor and as predicted the race had spread out at this point and so it was myself against the clock. After a slap of the hands, I was off sprinting down to the dock. I felt like I was on top of the water chasing every second. The Netherlands were ahead of us and though I could not see them I chased. First lap of the bike I brought in 20sec second lap another 10. I had images of Fabian Cancellara in my head as I time trialled.  Onto the run I was running through an entirely new hurt to the finish. For a time trial effort I ran my leg in 18minutes 10seconds. A nice conclusion to the European Competition Tour.
At the dinner table in the evening I was thinking, look around you, these are your team mates for possibly the next 10 years. (among others in Canada of course) It was a pleasure to skip, hop and jump around Europe for 3 weeks with these 3 athletes. Craig Taylor and Greg Kealey did an amazing job of organizing, managing and taking care of our needs during the trip. It was an awesome adventure.

That is all for now,
Thanks,
Andrew McCartney

No comments: