1 September 2009

10 days...

I'd like to begin with some music if you would care to listen. I have three songs I'd like to share. The first is a bit of a joke as it relates to my upcoming travels.
Men at work - Land down under
Cliche?



Yes Very Much So.
On a more serious note here is a song that is not new but rather unknown. Which I feel is a a great shame.
Sufjan Stevens - Concerning the UFO Sighting Near Highland

One last song to share is from an Irish Band, many must know the band The Cranberries. The incredibly shy Dolores O'Riordan is easily recognized by her voice. The Cranberries will be re-uniting and are working on a new album. Here is my Favourite song of theirs.

The Cranberries - Zombie

La Dolce Vita is ready to race. I know it is a bit early, but I do like to get the as Sam calls, "High Heals for the cocktail partry" aka the race wheels on early. Ride it a couple of times in town make sure gearing is right and no unexpected trouble. Again in the words of Sam, "Day one at the Spa" this referring to the clean up job I have done to make it nice and clean.
I have had a couple of good lessons in the value of training as of late. I have learnt that the gains are not so much acquired on the days you feel strong. The big gains are when you feel horrible and struggle through the bad days. The goal is to make those bad days as close to the good days as you can. This is the key to consistency. Of course this doesn't mean try and feel bad, it just means don't fear the tough days and a bonk is not such a bad thing. Since Kelowna, we have jumped right back into training full on. With a bit of illness and accumulated fatigue I have simply focused on making the hard days as close to the good days as I can like in a set of 6 miles on the trails of Elk and Beaver Lake and this mornings swim. I continue to practice my recovery strategies. Icing, Epsom salt, massage and healthy eating.

Travel day is just around the corner, I leave Thursday September 3rd and yes the nerves are increasing. Gradually getting more quiet. Packing a bit. Setting goals of thinking mainly positive and trying to leave no stone unturned. I have a lot of good people around me, who believe in me but the nerves and the pressure and the want to prove comes from inside. I have never felt so prepared for a World Championships before, with a proper taper I know what I need to do and that excites me.
For now it is nap time.
Prep for a good session this afternoon.
Ciao for now,
Andrew McCartney

3 comments:

D said...

Apparently you haven't learned one of the most important lessons of all: don't listen to Sam.

Andrew McCartney said...

What! Are you saying you don't believe in the very wise words of the philosopher, Samantha 'The Great'! My word...

Samantha said...

Hey now!!! I may be weird, but I am also GREAT and everyone should listen to me. Don't you forget that. haha.