22 August 2009

Pre-Kelowna ITU Report

En rout to Kelowna I will take this opportunity to write a Pre-race report the nerves are turning into excitement and anxiety. Distractions needed! That’s why a blog is such a great way to get what is on my mind out on paper and I bit out of my mind. So what is on my mind….Besides the wonderful food and coffee of the Blue Moose Coffee House.

Well, I have always been one who is good in a crisis, but I was tested Thursday right before leaving. Technical difficulties seem to only be noticed or come about right before the big event, but I guess that is why you test out the race gear out before the gun goes. In Montreal I remember hitting a pothole and I heard a loud crack sound. I checked the wheel there, seemed fine; I raced on my Zipp 303s for Des Moines and San Francisco only so often noticing a wobble. I dismissed it as simply sloppy riding. You can probably see where this is going. I got the bike ready to race, cleaning up the bar tape, spit polish and mount the race wheels. I began riding and as I applied the brakes I heard a dreadful knocking sound. I pulled over to see the carbon rims crumpling under me. This is where being good in a crisis came in… after a couple of token curse words and a consideration of my options I became comfortable with the concept of racing with my trainers, an added challenge. Because of the amazing developments in social networking and the fantastic sporting community I live in, I had 3 offers of race wheels. All very generous offers and very much appreciated. I ended up checking out the Gear swap and picked up a pair of Zipp 404s for a great deal. I was hoping to upgrade to some deeper rims at the end of the season but this way I have a crisis averted some racing wheels for Kelowna and some deeper more aerodynamic rims for Worlds. ;) Can’t wait to hit the roads again, and not just ripping around the neighborhood.



2007 Kelowna ITU

As for the race, anyone who knows me, knows how much I love this course and that’s when it was 4 laps. Now 6 laps of the bike rout including the hill in the middle. What more could you ask? Non-wetsuit swim? Yes indeed. Warm weather? It’s the Hawaii of Canada. A view? We run along the boardwalk of the lake. All in all super excited, little bit of nerves and a little bit of anxiety.

“Perhaps all the dragons of our lives are princesses who are only waiting to see us once beautiful and brave.” – Rainer Maria Rilke


I arrived yesterday, Rode what I thought was the course and was pleasantly surprised to find I was correct. Then after dinner and before dusk went for an Urban run, through the streets of Kelowna. I am feeling quite springy and ready to go.



This is the life,
Ciao for now,
Andrew McCartney
No Cotton Wool.

A song that I have had in my head lately is a catchy new tune from Green Day. It will probably get in your head too.
Green Day - 21 Guns.

Here is another Catchy tune, This song has attitude. I really like the mix between the male and female voice. You are really seeing this more now for example the collaboration of Robert Plant & Alison Krauss or The Stars. Both highly recommended.

Band of Skulls - I Know What I Am

1 comment:

Samantha said...

wicked race!!!